About Us - History  
About Us - Present Day  
Home Page  
John Lucas Home Page  
Photo Gallery



Mr John Lucas died in May 1935 and was buried in Apethorpe churchyard. The company was taken over by Lewis Samworth, who had been employed by the company from the age of seventeen as an apprentice carpenter and then moving into the office to help with the running of the business. Lewis Samworth was a sidesman at Peterborough Cathedral for seventy years before his death on 30th September  2004.  In 1980 he received an M.B.E. for fifty years service to the Cathedral and the community.  The company is still owned by the Samworth family.

In the past John Lucas (Peterborough) Limited built a number of properties in and around Peterborough, including many public houses and churches:

The Northfield Inn, Northfield Road, The Fox and Hounds at Longthorpe, The City Arms, St Johns Street, The Royal Arms, Eye Road, The Norfolk (now the property shop) in Lincoln Road, The Comet, Elmfield Road.

St Oswalds Roman Catholic Church, Lincoln Road, Our Lady Of Lourdes Church, Welland Road, Dogsthorpe Methodist Church, Birchtree Avenue, Christchurch,
  Central Avenue and St. Judes Church in Westwood. 

Peterborough’s first Technical College in Broadway (which is now The College Arms public house) was also built by the company together with several private houses in the area.

John Lucas (Peterborough) Limited has carried out a lot of the day-today maintenance and restoration work at Peterborough Cathedral for many years and continues to do so today.